Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Booze boycott!

I'm not really sure how the new campaign for everyone's favorite free open-bar vodka Svedka is supposed to make me want to buy their insanity juice, but I am sure that it isn't working.

The taglines are that Svedka is "The Future of Adult Entertainment" and that the brand has been voted the "#1 Vodka of 2033."

Now, how the marketing geniuses behind this one didn't put it together that the main implication of this campaign is that Svedka is decidedly not the #1 Vodka of 2005, and that indeed it will take a seemingly random, incredibly long period of 28 years for it to attain such stature is beyond me.

Plus, the appallingly cheap futurism of the ads - which seem to be confined to bus shelters and phone booths, particularly in Chelsea - and one of the ad's equally cheap pander to the homo market ("Thank you for making the gay man's fashion gene available over the counter in 2033") make me want to refuse to drink the swill even if it's free, which seems to be most of the time.

In fact, I think I'll do just that from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home