Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Coke-bottle glasses, calculus, and Prince



English dance-rockers Hot Chip have always seemed like the kind of nice boys who you might feel comfortable bringing home to Mom, provided that your mom likes coke-bottle glasses, calculus, and Prince. Sure, the title track of their breakthrough album, The Warning, suggested that "Hot Chip will break your legs/Snap off your head," but the song was so coy and burbly that it never really sounded threatening, evoking a nerd's under-breath schoolyard mutterings more than actual violence. Made in the Dark, on the other hand, means its menace.

You can read the rest of my review of Hot Chip's excellent Made in the Dark at Slant Magazine.

1 Comments:

Blogger riot said...

Of the bands you've reviewed thus far for Slant, I am most familiar with Hot Chip. However, I don't think that's why this is my favorite of your reviews. It simply reads really, really well. Your structure and word choices tickle my happy place just right and leave me with a very clear idea of what to expect from the album. Great job.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home