Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I am a pretty bad person




Because I think that it is kind of hilarious that Robert Jordan died before finishing The Wheel of Time.

For those of who are not really into fantasy books, The Wheel of Time is a really long series of books (so far there are 11 in the actual series, averaging something like 700 pages each of harder-than-Harry-Potter prose, and a few side projects) about dragons and knights and magic and shit. I haven't actually read any of them, but I know people who have. My first boyfriend had actually read all of them, as I recall. I bet he's pretty sad today, because Robert Jordan died well before finishing up the 12th book (which was supposed to have been the final one - even if it had to be 1500 pages long, he claimed).

Like I said: I'm a bad person. But I have actually long wondered what would happen to the pure geeks of the world if Jordan never got around to finishing the series (which, not so incidentally, kind of reeked of a shell game to me - "Sure guys, I promise this will have an ending. Really, totally! Just wait for the next book"). I guess now we will find out.

RIP Robert Jordan. I bet a lot of people are hoping that members of your family (to whom you allegedly disclosed the ending before your death) are passable writers.

I'm going to hell.

1 Comments:

Blogger riot said...

NO! NO!! NO!!!

Dave I hate you so much. You finally post something to your blog and it has to be the saddest news possible in fantasy literature. I've read all the books during the course of the past 15 or so years and I've been dying (pun intended) to know how it ends. Damnit.

FYI, there were no dragons.

It's a very sad day.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home