Sunday, December 18, 2005

Anyone know how I can get a job at Air America?

My obsession with Air America Radio is now beginning to threaten my social life. Friday night I was supposed to go out tomcatting with my friend Joey, but I felt my sickness rearing back up again so I decided to go home, where I took in Left of the Dial, the HBO documentary that tells the story of the network's frightening first few weeks.

Like any Drudge reader, I knew that AAR had some financial difficulties while getting off the ground. In fact, the film shows staffers at the network learning of said difficulties by reading the Drudge Report. Apparently, the company's first CEO lied to everyone about how much financial backing he'd lined up for their launch - he said he had $20 million when in fact he had only about $6 million - and when checks started bouncing he got the fuck out of dodge, leaving everyone in the lurch. The movie is pretty despairing for a while on this point, since for a while it looked like the company was going to be stillborn. But the outcome is ultimately inspiring, since the quality of their programming earned them outstanding ratings in their initial quarter and a new management team came in and secured them financial stability. The documentarians milk a lot of pathos out of Election Night 2004, off of which time has not taken much of the sting. This may mark me as crazy or sentimental or both, but must admit that I found myself tearing up in recollection of how awful the day after the election was, as well as in admiration of the steely resolve evident in the way all the hosts pulled it together in those disheartening hours and kept fighting the good fight.

As an addendum to my previous post, I should note that Mark Maron doesn't come off particularly well. He's shown as ornery, refusing to practice to the extent that his producers want him to, and generally being an asshole to everyone around him. His work on-the-air notwithstanding, based on his behavior as demonstrated by the film I can definitely understand why the suits would want him gone.

As the title of this post suggests, I'm starting to wonder if it would be possible to get a job as a writer or a junior producer at Air America now that I have a shiny new degree to put on my resume. I may begin beating down doors over there, but if anyone who reads this blog has any contacts with them it would be most appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home