Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Faux2

So on Saturday when I was at work, my boss' friend Dieter (who is as huge and German as his name makes him sound, salivate) called him and told him that U2 was playing on a rooftop on 8th Avenue and 29th street and that we should come immediately.

Now, since U2 was actually playing at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night, and since they've displayed a penchant for public performance in NYC in the recent past, this seemed rather credible. So we hopped in a cab and cruised on uptown, where we greeted Dieter and his mancandy and soon realized that the random people on the top of the building across the street ad-libbing to "Vertigo" through speakers smaller than the ones we used for New York Drones were not actually U2 but a rather poorly executed hoax.

We realized this because we are smart and perceptive people. However, the crowd of hundreds gathered on 8th Avenue was not nearly as smart and perceptive. Heard: Large rallying cries of "ONE MORE SONG!" and "LET THEM PLAY!" although as far as I can tell there was no police presence to speak of. Also heard: "Give me Bono or give me death," a request that I must sadly report went unfulfilled, as there was no Bono to be found and I refrained from killing the moron who was, clearly, asking for it.

There were a bunch of expensive-looking cameras on the roof with the hoaxers, so I am anticipating that this episode will be on my new least favorite television show before summer is out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are my peronsal chuck klosterman and you're denying me. BLOG MAN! where are you?

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude, it was actually these guys: http://www.improveverywhere.com/mission_view.php?mission_id=48

I first heard about them a few months ago on NPR's This American Life. They sound pretty crazy/cool. Check out their stories about the Best Gig in the World and Ted's Birthday.

Hope all is well, where ever your are.

Monday, July 11, 2005 12:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home