Monday, July 18, 2005

Bleary Potter






















I finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on Saturday. It was a vast improvement over Order of the Phoenix, which I found long-winded and rather pointless, and it features a great deal of exposition that serves as ample payoff for reading this far into J.K. Rowling's epic. Without descending to spoilers, I found the climax to be rather unsurprising, and I was not as broken up about it as I might have been were I in the sixth grade, or if I wrote for the LA Times.

One thing that I found particularly fascinating about this installment was the fact that the main characters - some of whom are reaching the Wizarding world's age of maturity, 17 - are now drinking. In fact, one of the main plot points hinges on Harry's manipulating one of his teachers into getting blind on the sauce. As though the Christian Right didn't have enough to quarrel with in these books, Ms. Rowling is now showing America's youngsters that their counterparts across the pond (the descendents of the thoughtful, practical people who showed the Puritans the door) aren't subject to a nanny-state Prohibitionary culture when it comes to alcohol. Granted, the fact that the legal drinking age in America is 21 doesn't seem to stop many high schoolers, but imagine what's going to happen when all the six year olds who are reading this book are 16: "But mom, Harry Potter drinks!" "Harry Potter also flies around on a broom and slays dragons, hand over that six pack."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book wasn't even available until Friday, you freak! :) While most of the Potter books are fairly light reading, I'm still impressed that you drank the "The Half-Blood Prince" down in two days. Did you quit your job or something?

I won't even get to read it until late December when I go on vacation...

Monday, July 18, 2005 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Hughes said...

I actually bought it on Saturday morning and then worked all day, so I didn't even really start reading it until 9 pm or so, and I finished around 2 am. They're written for sixth-graders though, so for a literary-minded lad like yours truly it's simply a matter of mainlining plot.

What exactly do you have keeping you so busy that you can't read it for another five months, Mr. Betts?

Monday, July 18, 2005 10:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so now I label you a SUPERFREAK. :)

School 'n' stuff like that. I have a hard enough time focusing on Spanish as is, let alone with a Harry Potter distraction hanging around.

I do go on vacation in late December tho. I love sitting on a beach in a far away country, sipping fancy drinks and ready a lightweight novel.

Monday, July 18, 2005 3:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home